Hi Mateusz,

Am 20.08.2014 um 08:23 schrieb Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr>:

> If your client is behind NAT, the ACTIVE mode will not work without
> special hacks, because the server won't be able to reach the client.
> If your server is behind NAT, then it's PASSIVE mode that won't work,
> because your server will announce its private IP to the client, and even
> if you force it to announce its correct (public) IP, it still won't work
> because you'd need a redirection on your NAT box to handle data ports
> (and this is tricky as well, since the port can be anything - you'd have
> to force your server to use only a specific pool of ports, and redirect
> them all...)

Thanks a lot! This sounds conclusive. I was really struggling to make this work
last night.

> The "bridge" configuration is IMHO the best, since it provides you a
> full connectivity, just like for a real machine in your network. But if,
> for any reason, you are scared that FreeDOS will hack your home router,
> then "HOSTONLY" is definitely the answer.
>
> Now, why does the VirtualBox DHCP fail in HOSTONLY mode, this I don't
> know. I can only guess there is some kind of special vbox configuration
> that will allow you to choose where you want to set up the vbox DHCP
> server for listening.

This can be done with the VirtualBox GUI (the main program, not the guest),
just go to Settings - Network - Host-only Network. Or you use the VBoxManage
command and do something like this:

VBoxManage dhcpserver modify --ifname vboxnet0 --ip 192.168.56.2 --netmask
255.255.255.0 --lowerip 192.168.56.101 --upperip 192.168.56.120 --enable

Unfortunately the DHCP server is not recognized neither by the mTCP dhcp client
nor by the WATTCP programs.

But:

I got the host-only mode working! By using fixed IPs in MTCP.CFG.

In "Settings" - "Network" - "Host-only Network" I edit (the screwdriver icon)
vboxnet0 to have the values:

IPv4 address: 192.168.56.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

(These are the default settings for host-only mode)

My C:\FDOS\WATTCP.CFG looks like this:

my_ip = 192.168.56.10
netmask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.56.1
nameserver = 192.168.56.1
domain_list = your.domain.com

Then I can just connect with Filezilla to 192.168.56.10. Here is the view under
the hood:

Response:       220 mTCP FTP Server
Command:        USER user
Response:       331 User OK, send Password
Command:        PASS ********
Response:       230 User logged in
Command:        SYST
Response:       215 UNIX Type: L8
Command:        FEAT
Response:       211-mTCP FTP server features:
Response:        MDTM
Response:        SIZE
Response:       211 End
Command:        PWD
Response:       257 "/" is current directory
Command:        TYPE I
Response:       200 Type set to I
Command:        PASV
Response:       227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,56,10,9,181)
Command:        LIST
Response:       150 Sending file list
Response:       226 Transfer complete

So this works. I do not need to have a real network connection. I can just run
FreeDOS as VirtualBox guest on my MacBook and connect to it with Filezilla or
any other FTP-client, no matter if I am in my LAN, in a train or at work.

So that's great.

Thanks again!
Ulrich