Hi,

sorry I've forgotten to mention, that you have to adapt the config.sys
file, too:

device=grub.exe
install=grub.exe
shell=grub.exe

But anyway. You need a bootloader to load the ISO file "fd11src.iso"
from an USB stick. In my first example I have used GRUB4DOS as
bootloader. But now in a second example I will use SYSLINUX as bootloader.

I have built a boot image which one can write to an USB stick. You can
download the ZIP file with the image from my githup repository:

https://github.com/christianimhorst/FreeDOSmultiboot/raw/master/FreeDOSmultibootStick.zip

After unzipping you'll get the file "FreeDOSmultibootStick.img"

You can write this image to an USB stick with at least 256 MB. If your
stick is larger than 256 MB you can format the empty space as FAT16 or
FAT32 with GParted as second partition. When FreeDOS boots from the
stick you can access the second partition as drive D:.

To write the image to your USB stick you can use "dd", but be careful,
it will destroy every data on the stick. It is available on every
Gnu/Linux, *BSD or MacOS X. If you are using Windows you can find a
Windows port here: http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Alternatively you can use Win32 Disk Imager with Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

This is an example how to use dd in GNU/Linux:

dd if=FreeDOSmultibootStick.img of=/dev/sdX bs=512k

Replace the X in /dev/sdX with the letter of your real device name.

After rebooting your computer from the USB stick you'll get this menu:

###

 -
 Press ENTER to boot FreeDOS, or choose from these alternatives:
 : fdos...... FreeDOS 1.1
 : bald...... Balder 10 (a single-disk DOS utility distribution)
 : install... Install FreeDOS 1.1
 : memtest... Run Memtest86+ V5.01
 Example: To boot Memtest86+, type "memtest" and hit Enter.
 -
 THESE IMAGES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY!
 USE THEM ON YOUR OWN RISK! BE WARNED!
 -

boot:

###

Type  "install". Next choose "Create Drive C:" from the FreeDOS menu.
Than select "2. Set active partition" Instead of your USB stick choose
the hard disk as your active partion. The hard disk needs a "DOS"
partition table and it has to be formated with FAT16 or FAT32. Otherwise
it won't be recognized by the FreeDOS installer. When this is done you
can proceed with FreeDOS installation.

Regards
Christian