On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Karen Lewellen
<klewel...@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Fine fine answer.
> When he first contacted me he was planning to use dos box emulator, or
> some other dos emulation program.  He must have dos for the assignment I
> understand.

I've used DOSBOX to run a few DOS apps under Linux.  It was developed
to let folks run old DOS games, but can be used for other apps as
well.

I found an Android port of DOSBOX, and have successfully run a couple
of old character mode DOS games on my tablet.  It works well enough to
let me run DOS apps on a device running an ARM Cortex 7 CPU.  :-)

> I am unsure just how much dos one gets with an emulator smiles.  Still
> from your  explanation, he may need to revert back either to this, or do
> what I  was first asking, download and burn a bootable freedos disc.

The question is how much one needs.  NTVDM under 2K/XP provides what
looks to the DOS app like 640K of RAM, access to EMS and XMS memory,
and the DOS system calls the app will try to issue.  Most DOS commands
like cd, md, rd, copy, del, and ren are built-ins of COMMAND.COM, and
that's provided with 2K/XP.

DOSBOX does the same thing on other OSes.

The issue with a bootable FreeDOS disk is that there isn't really a
FreeDOS Live CD.  The bootable FreeDOS images are intended toi allow
you to install FreeDOS on a system.  But FreeDOS uses a FAT16 or FAT32
file system, so if you want to install it on a machine that already
has an OS, you likely have to repartition the drive to carve out a
slice you can format as FAT to install FreeDOS on, and set up a
multi-boot configuration.

I did that on the ancient notebook FreeDOS is on here.  It has a 40GB
drive that I repartitioned, with a 20GB slice as NTFS for Win2K Pro,
two 8GB slices formatted Ext4 for Ubuntu and Puppy Linux, a 2GB FAT32
slice for FreeDOS and swap areas for the two Linux installations
multibooting from Linux Grub..

> Thanks,
> Kare
______