---------- Original Message ----------
From: "wch-t...@house-grp.net" <wch-t...@house-grp.net>
To: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>
Date: October 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] freedos 1.1 and xen
Rugxlo,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and references with me.

On October 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I applaud you for trying such an emulator with FreeDOS. Even I don't
> have the energy to try every emulator under the sun anymore.

Xen under the OpenSUSE distribution has always worked pretty well for me, but
there are some changes afoot in the Xen tool stack and documentation for the new
tool stack is not plentiful outside the xen wiki.

> Probably unrelated, but I sometimes get a critical error when doing
> tab completion under FreeCOM (0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap) with DOSLFN enabled.
> I don't know the details, but I vaguely assumed it was because there
> is no physical A: drive on this PC. I think I even get it with DOSEMU.

I will set up a virtual A drive and report

> You could try a different FreeDOS kernel (e.g. 2036 or 2038) and/or a
> different shell (0.82pl3 or 4DOS). If it's still a bug, at least
> you've confirmed that it's not unique to what you have now.

I will download several other versions and report.

> BTW, some emulators are just buggy. Most people, even developers,
> don't seem to test very well except with a limited number of modern
> OSes, usually Windows or Linux. So it's not true that it couldn't be
> Xen's fault.

I am sure Xen may have a flaw or two in it somewhere, but so far I have
installed Windows 7, MSDos 6.22, NetBSD, and several other Linux distributions
without any issues.   (I have experienced trouble with SCO oses, but I am not
done yet and this problem with FreeDOS may be related to the SCO problem.) I
would expect FreeDOS to run trouble free.  I have chosen FreeDOS to use for
network testing.  This is because I view FreeDOS as small in size, mature and
with a good network stack.

> So this error is on every boot, after AUTOEXEC has finished running?

FreeDOS can't find autoexec.bat at the moment, so an error is returned at that
point. If I try to do a simple "dir", the error occurs again, repeats three
times and then drops to the C prompt.  So I don't know if the failure to find
the autoexec.bat file is because it isn't there, or because it can't read the
disk.

> Dunno about images being allowed. Probably better to host them
> elsewhere and link to them indirectly.

I remember seeing that technique now.  I will see what I can find and post.

> I don't hold much hope for getting much sympathy upstream, but if
> you're courageous enough, you could visit their IRC and ask someone
> there.
>
> http://xenproject.org/irc.html

I will give that a shot later.   I started here because to me this looked like a
hardware error, but in a virtual machine.  I thought someone with FreeDOS
experience might recognize it and be able to offer some insight as to the cure.

Thanks