Don:  It's not the FreeCOM (COMMAND.COM), it's the kernel (KERNEL.SYS).
No, I don't have a copy of the kernel that makes the Online Bible work, but I'm
putting in a request to add the fix to the next kernel.

KERNEL FEATURE REQUEST:  Online Bible expects one of the old CP/M-derived
functions, that uses file control blocks (FCB) as opposed to file handles, to
fail in a particular way when passed a filename containing a path, because the
function was written back before subdirectories were implemented.  I haven't
exhaustively tested anything, but I did load a copy of Online Bible up, and can
verify that it works under MS-DOS (Windows 98 Second Edition) and EDR-DOS
(7.01.07 from the Ultimate Boot CD) but not under FreeDOS kernel 2041.

In 2007, Eric Auer identified the function as interrupt 21 function 29, Enter
Filename into FCB (FcbParseFname in FreeDOS.)
In the link below, Eric shows what FreeDOS does differently from MS-DOS, and
provides a kernel patch to the FcbParseFname function in fcbfns.c, and finally
provides a modified kernel to a user of Online Bible.
http://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/8335127/
It looks like it's checking for a backslash to see if the filename contains
paths, then causing it to exit in the expected way.

Could we please similarly patch any FCB functions that require it so that they
behave as expected (for a function written before subdirectories were
implemented) when presented with a filename containing paths?  I believe there
are fifteen FCB functions in DOS, but I don't know how many of them (other than
function 29) directly deal with filenames.

 - - Shane