On 10/31/2014 12:01 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Hi, sorry for late reply,
>
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2014 7:41 PM, Marco Achury wrote:
>>> Looking at:
>>>
>>> http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/tex/
>>>
>>> There are a lot of files.
> Old files, probably not even latest versions. (That was always my
> complaint about Simtel and other sites, too hard to help them update
> the files.)
It's Tex for DOS for crying out loud! What do you expect?

> Yeah, too many little pieces, hard for the novice (such as myself) to
> "jump in". It's supposed to be fairly powerful, but I don't think my
> need is strong enough to learn much of it. Maybe it is for you since
> you do more writing than I do.
I don't use Tex, never really got into after looking into it when
working at a CAD/CAM software manufacture back in the '90s and
evaluating it's use for our software documentation. Corel Draw and
PageMaker turned out to be a more effective solution for more people
being able to collaborate without having to spend a long time to become
proficient in using Tex.
Tex is complex, nothing for a novice, with very few tools coming even
close to what you do these days with real WYSIWYG tools.
> Anyways, let me again point you to a DJGPP mirror. While I haven't
> heard any chatter in recent years of anybody using it, presumably it
> was quite a good port back in the day.
>
> http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2apps/tex/

Pretty much same amount of files, of comparable age.

Ralf

---
is active.