Hi,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/31/2014 12:01 PM, Rugxulo wrote:

>> Old files, probably not even latest versions. (That was always my
>> complaint about Simtel and other sites, too hard to help them update
>> the files.)
>
> It's Tex for DOS for crying out loud! What do you expect?

I meant old (not latest) even for TeX, even for DOS. If I remember
correctly, Simtel had a policy of making it hard for anyone outside of
the author to update anything. So a lot of stuff had old versions on
Simtel and newer versions elsewhere.

>> Yeah, too many little pieces, hard for the novice (such as myself) to
>> "jump in". It's supposed to be fairly powerful, but I don't think my
>> need is strong enough to learn much of it. Maybe it is for you since
>> you do more writing than I do.
>
> I don't use Tex, never really got into after looking into it when
> working at a CAD/CAM software manufacture back in the '90s and
> evaluating it's use for our software documentation. Corel Draw and
> PageMaker turned out to be a more effective solution for more people
> being able to collaborate without having to spend a long time to become
> proficient in using Tex.
> Tex is complex, nothing for a novice, with very few tools coming even
> close to what you do these days with real WYSIWYG tools.

If you'd rather use latest MS Office or similar, then go ahead. Those
kinds of things are made for an entirely different domain.

>> Anyways, let me again point you to a DJGPP mirror. While I haven't
>> heard any chatter in recent years of anybody using it, presumably it
>> was quite a good port back in the day.
>>
>> http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2apps/tex/
>>
> Pretty much same amount of files, of comparable age.

1995 vs. 2000. But I highly suspect the DJGPP build is of much better
quality and stability.