I will use later versions of Qemu in the next release. However, I would like
to use binaries that use SDL instead of GTK because I think these require
less disk space.

Qemu is faster than Bochs if you run it on the processor it is currently
"emulating". It will then use the real processor to some extend.

Qemu supports read-only in some disk configurations. When accessing the
FAT32 hard disk on my Windows XP system I could see the file names as 8.3
names using the tilde.

Georg