The complete format does have one virtue.  It wipes the disk if you need
to make sure the previous information is gone.
bs
On Sun, 12/7/14, TJ Edmister <damag...@hyakushiki.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Quickview ver 2.60
 To: "Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS."
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Sunday, December 7, 2014, 3:16 AM

 On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:29:56 -0500,
 Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>
 wrote:

 > Hi!
 >
 >> The DOS format utility is kind of an anachronism at
 this point. Usually
 >> it
 >> takes a long time to format a partition because
 it's iterating through
 >> every sector of the disk. It's completely
 unnecessary these days. All it
 >> really needs to do is write a boot sector, FAT, and
 root directory.

 > That is why FORMAT has options for QUICK format, which
 does
 > exactly that: Write only the FAT, root dir and boot
 sector.

 > Optionally, that combines with making a backup of those
 areas
 > near the end of the disk, allowing a later UNFORMAT.
 But of
 > course quick format is quickest without that backup
 step ;-)

 > Of course both do not work with never-yet-formatted
 floppies.

 > Eric

 When formatting a harddisk partition (or flash or whatever
 the actual
 medium is), MS FORMAT relies on a correct boot sector
 already having been
 created by FDISK. I discovered this not long ago when I
 tried to resize a
 partition by tweaking the MBR with a sector editor. I
 changed a 20GB
 partition to 60GB. But when I ran FORMAT, it continued to
 report 20GB. I
 had to change the size in the partition's boot sector as
 well. And this is
 just to perform a slow format. As for quick format, it
 doesn't work unless
 the partition has previously been slow-formatted to create a
 valid FAT.
 This behavior makes sense in the context of FAT16 where the
 disk is
 checked for bad clusters which can then be marked in the
 FAT. In the
 context of FAT32, not so much...

 Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT
 Server
 from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports
 and Dashboards
 with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App
 Integration & more
 Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar
 corporations, FREE