Hi Eric,
"Windows is much more than a GUI. There are also 1000s of
programs which need Windows (even Windows 3) to function.

If you would make a new GUI for DOS, it would not allow
you to keep using all those Windows programs."

I have no problem running W31, for those programs that I still own from the
last century :^).

Actually I was thinking of a refinement of OZONE, as a DOS based GUI, that
would function as a FreeDOS menu system with easy access to games, media.
etc.

BTW what do you know about CarbonOS? Is it sanctioned by the FreeDOS
project?  I started an install on a spare HD, but it seems to not be any
more than a FD kernel w/ 4dos, and its system file hierarchy is difficult
to adjust to in its present state.