----- Original Message -----
From: "Rugxulo" <rugx...@gmail.com>
To: "Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS."
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:46 PM
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [Freedos-user] [Bulk] Re: How to run Fractint in FreeDOS
inVirtualBox?

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Knute Myhrvold <knut...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I did:  type FRACTINT at the command line...  have tried that several
>> times.
>> Was I in the proper Folder?  I thought so... after typing "dir fractint"
>> FreeDOS did display
>> the many files there, including "FRACTINT.EXE".  I then typed FRACTINT
>> and again it didn't run.
>> And I have been studying DOS, esp. looking for commands that would
>> run/open/execute Fractint.
>> So far, nothing has worked.
>> Rather than anything else, could you please just say exactly what you
>> would type as a command
>> in VB FreeDOS to get Fractint to run?
>>
>> On 2/2/2015 5:18 AM, Knute Myhrvold wrote:
>>
>> I want to run Fractint, an old DOS fractal image generater.
>> I used to run it on Win95, 98, and NT, and it will run on some
>> WinXPmachines, but not mine.
>> So I have installed VirtualBox and finally successfully installed FreeDOS
>> as a Guest in it...
>> in the Settings I put FRACTINT.EXE and all its accompanying files into a
>> "Shared Folder" for FreeDOS.
>>
>> But I still can't run Fractint.
>> *(The Shared Folders are  C:\DOS\fractint\FRACTINT.EXE )
>>
>> The bottom of the running FreeDOS window shows C:\>_
>> By typing "dir" I see that FreeDOS DOES show Fractint!
>> By typing "dir fractint" I see that FreeDOS lists the scores of files in
>> the Fractint Folder,
>> including "FRACTINT.EXE".
>>
>> But that's as far as I have gotten... HOW do I get FreeDOS to RUN
>> Fractint?  How is it done?

Hi Rugxulo and thanks very much for your thoughtful response.
> For me, I just used yet another (heavily modified) MetaDOS setup that
> I've been playing with. It's not very big, but it does have networking
> that works under VirtualBox (thanks to packet driver). The default FD
> 1.1 install should also have a working packet driver, at least for
> VBox.
I confess it would be too much for my old brain to try another DOS & figure
out Networking.,
but what you say below may help me to understand PATHS... I'll try.
> "wget http://www.fractint.org/ftp/current/dos/fractint-20.04p12.zip";
> and "unzip fract*.zip" and "cd fractint.04p" and then "demo.bat" seems
> to run it correctly for me.
>
> Perhaps part of the confusion is trying to share "host" (?) files with
> your "guest" VM OS? I've honestly not tried that, so I can't say how
> that works. I don't think that's supported for DOS guests in VBox.
I think you're right; I don't think my Shared Paths show up at all.  (The
FRACTINT I saw when I typed "dir" was actually built into a special
"FreeDOS+Fractint.ova" I installed as a second Guest, after plain FreeDOS
1.1 in VB.)
> Your alternatives, if this isn't convenient, is to try to use some
> kind of virtual floppy drive on Windows. Or similar way to insert
> files into a disk image. Actually, QEMU can do this, but I don't know
> about VBox. You could always read Ulrich's (LazyBrownDog? FD Wiki?)
> Networking tutorial, if you think it'll help. But I'm not sure setting
> up an FTP server is reasonably easy for you, though.
No, not easy 'nuff for me, anyway.
> Or just use VMware. FreeDOS did have one guy (Eduardo) contribute
> VMSMOUNT, which lets you access host/guest files easier, but I have no
> idea if VMware (fully?) works without VT-X. (I can't test everything.)
> Downloading yet another huge hypervisor is probably overkill.
>
> Or use DOSBox (slow 486 software-only emulator, not a real DOS, but it
> should work with such graphical programs like this, and it mounts host
> file system easily). Or install native FreeDOS to a bootable USB drive
> via RUFUS (although you may need help to boot from that, e.g. PLoP
> Boot Manager, if your WinXP machine is too old).
Yes, the parts that I can grasp, even partially, are helpful & I thank you.
> Does any of this sound reasonably helpful? It could always be more
> obvious, of course, but it's hard to know what exactly you're trying
> to do.
 Well, I just want to run Fractint, like I used to in Win98, no hassle.  But
now I thought I'd try to run it in this new-fangled virtual FreeDOS...  but
I'm finding it incredibly complicated. (But interesting!)
Knute

---