Hi Guillem,

On 18/05/2015 08:16, Guillem wrote:
> (...) the only things that are preventing me from doing that right now are
> the fact that USB serial controllers don’t work all the way (...)

So "Better/wider" USB support. Already on the list.

> Is there any way to make some kind of driver that would sit between the
> application and the actual soundcard (in my case a realtek) and forward what
> the app is trying to send to the soundblaster to the realtek the right way?

Yes and no. Yes, because that's possible in theory - but it requires to
capture ports on which usually the SB card sits, and this requires to
put the CPU in v86 mode (hence EMM386 is mandatory). And not everyone is
a fan of v86, or EMM386. Secondly, even though it is possible this way,
it will work only for realmode applications (since v86 mode is an
emulation of a 8086...), so it's quite limited anyway.

Ultimately, SB is a "standard" that is tied to hardware, so it will die
sooner or later. The long-term solution here would be to have a
universal sound API, and that's all what VESA/AI is about. And drivers
that provide an VESA/AI API for various cards are a possibility that is
technically sound (but it would work only for new apps, or old apps that
are extended with VESA/AI support). As for your legacy apps that are
requiring a strict SB card, I fear there's no solution.

> Also would FreeDOS actually run on a PC with 8gb of RAM? That’s what this one
> has, but after the previous message in this topic I’m not so sure.

Sure it would. Of course it won't use the 8GB, but it doesn't need to
either. The limitation you saw in the other thread are windows
limitations, not FreeDOS.

> I guess I would also have to figure out networking. I have no way of using
> Ethernet because of how this house is set up. I can either use Wifi or use my
> phone with USB tethering,

If this is a non-mobile computer, then I can only recommend getting a
small cheap Access Point and configure it in client mode, so your DOS PC
would have standard ethernet connectivity, while the AP will do all the
boring and complicated wifi stuff. That's what I do, and it works very
well for me.

The alternative is to find an old wifi card that has a packet driver for
DOS and a configuration tool that allows to set the whole wifi mess..
but, well, good luck with that :) (on the other hand, if you do find
such card, I'd be really interested in knowing the exact brand/model and
associated drivers).

Mateusz