Hi,

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 4:04 AM, David Griffith <dgri...@cs.csubak.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2015, Mateusz Viste wrote:
>
>> My guess is that you have a fishy memory usage in newer versions of
>> frotz - following an invalid pointer, or writing to non-allocated
>> memory, or so...

Presumably yes. A very quick testing of Zbefunge worked fine ... until
I quit, then I too got a MCB crash/halt/error.

> I guess my next step is to bring one of my older machines home, clean it
> up, install FreeDOS, and get to work with Turbo C++'s debugger.

You probably don't have to use an older machine. In fact, you could
use something like RUFUS to install to a bootable USB jump drive:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

> Can anyone offer any explanation why a program would run fine in DOSbox
> and crash on real hardware?

DOSBox is not a real DOS, it's only for games, and it only emulates
maximum 64 MB of RAM. If I had to guess, they're probably ignoring any
attempts to free memory until actual program exit (probably to avoid
buggy games crashing).