Guys,

>> I took a look, and the capacitors seemed to be fine.
>
> Including power supply?

Mains caps in a power supply in the 230 Volt AC part of the
world can be charged with 300 - 400 Volts and considerable
capacity, even a while after you unplug things. You do NOT
want to mess with those unless you are an expert.

> http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-9912 is typically $99 in their sale
> catalogs, worth the price if you find yourself trying to fix electronics more
> often than rarely.

Better multimeters also have simple capacity measurement
functionality for less money. Caps from the bad caps era
indeed also often have bulges, which you see without any
measurement. For proper measurement, you would often have
to disconnect the cap first.

My last 2 experiences with bad caps were the following:

* newer graphics card, some caps visibly blown, tried to
replace caps but caps of better quality were mechanically
too large, while too simple caps were why it was broken.

* a LED lamp, one cap visibly bulged, replacing that
was easy, but only reduced the problem, not solved it.

However, with your Pentium 4 MAINBOARD, chances are a
bit better - cap technology has improved since then,
so replacement caps of better quality (low ESR, 105C
temp range) should fit the same mechanical size. Yet
mainboards often have multi layer PCB and lots of tiny
features, so you still have to be experienced to get
them soldered properly :-)

Sorry about the off-topic ;-)

Regards, Eric