I plowed all the way through the (interesting) article but didn't read
anything that seemed to help me.  Most of it is about the Pro Audio
Spectrum (PAS) lineup.

In the meantime I installed a Win 98 hard drive on this machine and got
the sound card working in Windows.  But I found out that "digital audio
extraction" does not work -- it required the analog audio CD cable.
Digital audio extraction must have debuted in Win Me or XP.

On the bright side, I got the analog audio CD cable working in Windows.
So now I know that I have a good hardware hookup.

But when I returned to FreeDOS with this now-known-good cable
connection, my two CD players still failed just as before.