Hi Eric,

Thanks for your pointers! I didn't think about testing with an
alternative extender.

I tested it now, and the problem is not appearing when I run Ultimate
Doom using DOS32A (ie. the game starts fine, let me kill those nasty
aliens just as usual, and quits fine).

Of course this is not a solution, since it only tells us that there is
some kind of memory limitation in DOS4GW that is not present in DOS32A,
but still I prefer to be able to run legacy applications of my system,
without having to "patch" them. Yet, it's an interesting test
nonetheless, and I'm glad you suggested it.

As you probably saw, I did a few things on my own in the meantime, that
I reported by replying to my own message a hour ago.

cheers,
Mateusz