Hi,

(BTW, I had to yank this out of my Spam folder, which is all too
common for Yahoo! users these days.)

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM, JIM GANTES <james_g...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dears,
>
> I need your help. I try to boot to my desktop (Windows XP) via usb-flash
> with FreeDOS (VERSION 0.84-PRE2 XMS_Swap).

Boot WinXP? You mean recovery (with NTFS access, which is [almost]
impossible)? Or dual boot? To run what, DOS (MZ, not PE) programs??

BTW, "0.84-pre2 XMS_Swap" is the shell (COMMAND.COM), not the kernel.
Try "ver /r" instead, but presumably you're using FD 1.1 (kernel 2040)
or similar.

> My problem is that by the normal booting check disk stucks to 27%.

Which one? XP's (NT, PE) Windows CHKDSK.EXE? Because the DOS ones
don't handle NTFS. While you can still run XP atop FAT, it's somewhat
uncommon.

> So through freedos I try to bypass check disk but I don't know which command
> I have to use.

FreeDOS is probably not going to be helpful in recovering an XP
install atop an NTFS file system. Sorry. You probably need your
original XP install CDs (or similar recovery Windows console,
WinPE??).

> Note that using "chkdsk" command I get the message "bad
> command". I also do not the name of my had disk in the freedoss environment.

IIRC, FreeDOS CHKDSK.EXE is a 16-bit tool and doesn't even handle
FAT32. The 32-bit tool for that is a DJGPP port of DOSFSCK.EXE. But
neither of these is able to help you with XP, especially if you're
using NTFS (which was heavily recommended and even mandatory in newer
Windows).

As far as hard disks, you say you "do not [know] the name". I assume
you mean volume or drive?? What does "fdisk /status" tell you?

> Among others I need a list of freedos command which corresponds in the
> freedos version I use.

The executable commands are any .COM, .EXE, or .BAT in your %PATH% or
current dir. So type "echo %PATH%", and manually check. But that's not
going to "help" you directly. You could try reading here (basically an
online version of the help command):

http://help.fdos.org/

http://www.freedos.org/software/
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=help

But you're probably barking up the wrong tree here. You might honestly
(only) need help in a Windows forum instead (which is mostly off-topic
for DOS here). I'm sorry that I don't know enough about XP to help
much further, and I don't even have any XP installs anymore.