Hi,

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Mikkel C. Simonsen <m...@post5.tele.dk> wrote:

> I have just installed FreeDOS to run an old PCB editor.

What name? Date? Files? Using RTM/DPMI16, I presume?

> When I try to run the executables, I get the error
> "Unhandled exception 000E at 0020 1AA4 ErrCode 0002"

What memory managers are loaded? JEMMEX? HIMEMX only?

> In an old post from japheth, he wrote that the error is from the Borland
> loader. He also suggested running hdpmi16 (from HXRT) prior to the
> troublesome executable, and that does fix it (temporarily). hdpmi16 is
> unloaded once the programme exits.

Another user on BTTR recently had a similar problem (again). His
suggested workaround was "DEVICE=C:\FREEDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE ALTBOOT
MAX=32000 MIN=32000".

Japheth (circa 2011) explicitly blamed the bug on Borland's DOS
extender. His suggested workaround was this:

"
1. Option /R63 for UIDE, which makes UIDE not use extended memory from
the first 64 MB, must be set.
2. Option /X2MAX32 for HimemX, which makes HimemX restrict XMS v2 max.
memory to 32 MB, must also be set.
"

> I did some more experimenting, and it looks like running hdpmi16
> followed by hdpmi32 provides a more permanent "fix".

Okay, good. Yes, obviously, Borland's old extenders weren't tested on
modern machines. (BTW, how much total RAM do you have?)

> But why does the error occur under FreeDOS? Running the same package in
> an OS/2 or WinXP VDM does not produce the error.

OS/2 and NTVDM both have separate DPMI servers that were tested
differently. They usually throttle the amount of total RAM seen by DOS
extended apps.

> I have tried all three memory options from the boot menu - they do not
> appear to change anything.

It depends on how much RAM you have, and what options to the memory
managers and extenders, and their versions, etc. Try one of the above
suggested workarounds.