Hallo Herr John Hupp,

am 16. Juli 2015 um 01:48 schrieben Sie:

> For a US layout keyboard and the default BIOS keyboard driver: I brought
> this issue up a long time ago and learned that by design R-Alt is a dead
> key and does not duplicate the functionality of L-Alt.

> I have always found it to be awkward, slow and displeasing to invent
> some other finger usage to do an Alt-File or Alt-X, which are very
> common key combinations.

> Today I have been studying xkeyb and keyb, trying to find a way to get
> what I wanted, but I have come up dry so far.

> With xkeyb, recent versions now support an extended scancode for R-Alt
> (E56), but L-Alt is 56, and the [Shifts] section of its US.KEY supports
> association of only one scancode with ALT, and by default that scancode
> is 56.  By contrast, [Shifts] has a Shift1 and Shift2 association,
> thereby enabling both L-Shift and R-Shift to be identified as Shift keys.

> With keyb, documentation notes that one might edit a KEY file and use KC
> with that to compile a custom keyboard layout (KL) file to load, and I
> am now trying to plow through the KC doc files, but it's pretty dense
> reading.

> Can anyone detail or at least outline a solution?

outline, without *any* warranties:

L-ALT sends scancode 0x38
R-ALT sends scancode 0xe0 0x38

the keyboard handler should :

   if scancode 0x38 is detected, clear 'extended' status
   in BIOS

locate MKEYB to modify (castrate)

replace
   int cdecl NAME(cint15_handler)(uchar scancode)
   {
   }

with

int cdecl NAME(cint15_handler)(uchar scancode)
{

    debug_scancode = scancode;              /* very nice for debugging   */
                                            /* hit ESC - and we are gone */

    if (scancode == 0x38)
       {
       *(char far*)MK_FP(0x40, 0x96) &=  ~0x02;
       }

    return scancode;
}

compile and test