I think you have to be involved in programming to have heard
of a PE file. Wikopedia is good but some of the computer
jargon is alien to me not being a programmer. I'd have
to look up a lot of words that you take for granted.
I was hoping this might be an answer as to why dOS sound drivers
don't work without windows. A dos program should work without
windows other wise it's not really dos.
When you use jargon or simplified acronyms don't assume that
other less experienced people understand you - they probably don't.

cheers
DS