Hi Rugxulo,

Yes, I have considered the possibility that it might be a hardware
problem. Wouldn't be that surprising given that's a 25 years old
machine. I also resoldered lots of stuff fixing PCB traces and replacing
a few passive components because the mainboard was in a very poor state
when I got it, due to an evil battery leak.
But the problem I have is happening only with XMS, and it does work
almost perfectly with FDXMS (with the exception of Wolf3D not detecting
XMS), so I'd rather think there is something non-standard about this
386SX, and that it does something differently than expected by most XMS
managers. That's one of the first 32bit machines after all - plenty of
space for non-standard solutions. Plus, the BIOS memory test passes all
right, and other XMS-relying programs work fine, too.

I will follow your suggestion and test newer versions of HIMEMX and
XMSGR, even if unofficial/closedsource, just for the sake of knowing
whether it changes anything. Then indeed, my next plan was to install
MSDOS and see if it works fine, but I thought it might be a good idea to
ask around here first for some first-hand experience.

cheers,
Mateusz