Hi again,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:

> Yes, I have considered the possibility that it might be a hardware
> problem. Wouldn't be that surprising given that's a 25 years old
> machine. I also resoldered lots of stuff fixing PCB traces and replacing
> a few passive components because the mainboard was in a very poor state
> when I got it, due to an evil battery leak.
> But the problem I have is happening only with XMS, and it does work
> almost perfectly with FDXMS (with the exception of Wolf3D not detecting
> XMS), so I'd rather think there is something non-standard about this
> 386SX, and that it does something differently than expected by most XMS
> managers. That's one of the first 32bit machines after all - plenty of
> space for non-standard solutions. Plus, the BIOS memory test passes all
> right, and other XMS-relying programs work fine, too.

It could actually be a cpu bug. Didn't early 386s have bugs with some
instructions?

"Early in production, Intel discovered a marginal circuit that could
cause a system to return incorrect results from 32-bit multiply
operations." (Wikipedia)

Also see here ("80386 Bugs"):

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=130978&seqNum=27

> I will follow your suggestion and test newer versions of HIMEMX

IIRC, HIMEMX had a quirk/bug where a 386 [sic] needed to do "jmp $+2"
after enabling pmode. I don't think this was officially ever fixed
(only in unofficial later releases), so if you're still using 3.32,
it's probably still there.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/himem/himemx/old/himemx-3.33-unofficial-old-386-patch.zip

Ah, here's the old discussion we had on BTTR (circa 2009):

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=6445#p6445

(Rod P.'s unofficial 3.34 is mostly for workaround "modern" memory
holes, probably irrelevant for your 386, but IIRC it does include the
above fix too.)

>and XMSGR, even if unofficial/closedsource,

No, I meant the one still on iBiblio, circa this year (2015), not old
from 2012 (not sure why you're using that one). Though honestly I
don't know if anything significant changed since then anyways.

http://freedos.sourceforge.net/software/?prog=xmgr
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/xms/xmgr/drivers-2015-03-05.zip

> just for the sake of knowing whether it changes anything. Then indeed,
> my next plan was to install MSDOS and see if it works fine, but I
> thought it might be a good idea to ask around here first for some
> first-hand experience.

I'm surprised I even remembered any of this. Maybe I'm not completely
useless after all (just close enough!).  :-P