Rugxulo, Ralph,

Thank you both for your inputs! Here's the endgame :)

I already tried to test the RAM on this machine using both "AleGr
MEMTEST 2.00" and "MEMTEST86+ 4.20" (from a boot floppy), but both fail
miserably - AleGr MEMTEST imemdiately freezes, while MEMTEST86+
immediately reboots the PC.

The BIOS test passes though, so even if RAM chips are bad, they are at
least seemingly behaving correctly.

Now, I tested two things:

MS HIMEM v2.06 (from the XMS developer disk, with sources and all) -
works fine, mem detects all XMS memory, Wolf3D is happy, no wild
reboots, no freezes, everything works (yaay!). This is not a 'free'
solution, so it can't be considered viable, but still - WORKS (meaning
my 386 is not totally wasted). Also, MS HIMEM consumes 30K of
conventional memory, which is not cool.

HIMEMX v3.34 (as per Rugxulo's suggestion) - miracle, this one works
perfectly - mem sees all the RAM, Wolf3D is happy (as well as all other
applications I tested), no crash, no reboots, no freezes, no nothing.
Solution found!

I didn't test XMGR, since I don't really see the point, XMGR being a
dead end anyway.

About HIMEMX:
1. The 'TESTMEM:ON' switch is not working - with my limited ASM
understanding, I think it checks for "TESTMEM:OFF" only, while the
default is OFF anyway.
2. What makes the v3.34 "unofficial"? Maybe might it be a good time to
advertise it as "official", so other people would avoid going through
hoops like I had to?

cheers,
Mateusz