Hi again,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

>> 2.  I can run an old Clipper program but the program has to be in the same
>> drive/partition as FreeDOS; I cannot access other drive/partition when I'm
>> in FreeDOS.  Is this normal?
>
> This might be not normal. DOS only supports FAT partitions,
> so if your other partitions are NTFS or Linux, it is normal
> that DOS can not access them without additional drivers.
>
>> 3.  When I'm using the Clipper program, I can print just fine.  But I cannot
>> enter data.  I get the DOS ERROR 4, something like that.  When running the
>> Clipper program in command prompt in Windows 7 and I get the DOS ERROR 4,
>> all I have to do is edit the autoexec.nt and config.nt in windows\system32.
>>  What would be the equivalent of that in FreeDOS?

Windows 7 and FreeDOS do not cooperate at all. So editing anything in
%windir%\system32 (like autoexec.nt or config.nt) don't affect real
DOS at all, only Microsoft's NTVDM.

> I do not know what error 4 is and you have not explained in
> which way you edit the *.nt files. What do you add, remove
> or change in those files? You can do the same in DOS, but I
> think you do not have any config yet - see question 1. Note
> that the drive which is "F:" while you installed DOS, if I
> understand your mail correctly, probably is drive "C:" when
> you boot DOS. As you also seem to have Windows 7 on the same
> computer, I guess that your Windows partitions are all NTFS.

All Windows (since Vista, AFAIK) refuse to boot off of FAT partitions
at all. They can still access (read/write) them later, but most
installs don't have any (for security??). So NTFS usually hogs the
entire physical disk. Thus, you've have to shrink/resize the NTFS to
make room, then create a separate FAT. If you don't have a FAT
partition, DOS won't boot at all. DOS can't read NTFS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/shrink-and-extend-ntfs-volumes-in-windows/

But honestly, I think it would be easier (for now) to just use RUFUS
(or similar) for bootable USB:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/