On 09/11/2015 14:07, Don Flowers wrote:
 > Yeah, I should have mentioned that my PC has an onboard Intel
 > 82567LM-3 for which there seems to be no DOS option for connectivity

I am sure you already did extensive research, but just in case you
missed it - have you tried this one?

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006120.htm

the "GIGPKTDRVR.EXE" file sounds promising.

 > As for buying a retro machine, have you checked the prices lately? In
 > the past year alone a PII or PIII with one ISA slot has doubled in
 > price to an average of $300-400.

Surely you look in the wrong places Of course eBay is full of crooks
that try to sell old stuff for fortunes, but it's still possible to
build a legacy PC within an affordable price.

cheers,
Mateusz