That may sound nice, but it misses something that I consider essencial:
It has to carry all hardware drivers so that it can work on any machine ...
Does anyone know how to do that?

And there is another point that is important for me: I intend to use
FreeDOS along with other Linux things. This is easy with Ubuntu, but not
with Buildroot.

A better alternative would be to start with a minimal version od Ubuntu
and stripp some things off.

Alain