Hi all,

With some luck, we could imagine having a v1.2 release somewhere next
year. But this won't happen without more people chipping in. There are
plenty of things that would need to be done, and that do NOT require any
development skills. If you wish to give some of your time, look at the
list below and pick whatever suits you.

=== Packages freshness ===
Check that all packages from the all_cd.iso contain the latest stable
version of the software. a quick example: DJGPP is still in v2.04, while
v2.05 is out since some time now, and provides significant improvements.
Another example: FROTZ is packaged in an unstable version (crashes
randomly), needs to be downgraded to latest stable.

=== Sources verification ===
Check that all packages - at least these in BASE, but preferably all
other as well - come with sources, and that these sources are in the
same version as the binary. I noticed for example that the COMMAND
package doesn't. it is possible more such packages exist.

=== Install bootdisk build ===
Jerome is doing an outstanding job preparing a state-of-the-art,
batch-powered installer. We have also a reasonably good database of
packages within the all_cd.iso build. There is still one missing piece
in the puzzle: a proper bootable floppy image that would be reliable on
most hardware configurations, and that would allow Jerome's installer to
run, and fetch packages from the CD.

=== More packages! ===
There is still plenty of room on the CD (around 250M), it would be cool
to fill it with more packages. Of course the packaged software must
comply with basic common sense criteria:
  - open-source, free software only ("3 freedoms")
  - of objectively reasonable quality (ie. works reliably, does the job
it is supposed to, and is clear enough so DOS users can understand how
to use it without having to reverse-engineer anything)
  - with some actual, real-world purpose - productivity software, system
tools, _non-crappy_ games, etc... for gray areas, a community consensus
must be reached

=== Translations synch ===
Check that packages comes with their most up to date translations. If
outdated, either translate missing bits, or chase translators to push it
forward. Ideally, it would be perfect if we had some kind of php
interface where everyone could contribute translations.. But it's
probably unrealistic to hope for anyone to create such interface for the
project, best we have for now is http://freedoslocal.sourceforge.net,
which is far from perfect, but at least it's there.

=== Testing ===
Once the installer and bootdisk are starting to play together, extensive
testing will be required. In the meantime, tests of package
installations would be nice (install package x, check that it works as
expected and doesn't miss any obvious stuff, remove the package)

I can provide pointers for each of the above points to whoever would
like to contribute a little of his/her time. Just ask on the list.

Mateusz