Hi Don,

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Don Flowers <donr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> USB installer is a different matter.
> First, please disable BELL on lbacache - it wreaks havoc on my wifes's
> hearing aid. On 2nd boot I had to step through Config/autoexec.bat and ESC
> out of LBACACHE.

I’ll see what I can do about the noise. Since it is probably not needed on the
USB version, I may end up just removing LBACACHE from that version.

> Second on my Compaq Armada 1750 USB is only bootable by PLOP boot manager and
> thus it a C: drive- this causes write protection on the USB (as it should)
> with installer "confused" about how to handle the "ABORT, RETRY, IGNORE
> error. Installation failed.

I know why this occurred. Basically, the installer see’s it is drive C: and
startup trying to use it for it’s temporary files. When this occurs,
DOS starts throwing those error messages. The floppy version handles things a
little bit differently.  This would not happen with the Floppy based version
even if the floppy is write-protected and no hard drive existed. When, I get
some more free time I will look into handling a write protected USB stick.
Thanks for the heads-up.

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Don Flowers <donr...@gmail.com
> <mailto:donr...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Very impressive "beta?"  installer.

Thank you. I called it Preview (alpha) version. Almost, beta.

> I tested it several ways;
> the test machine is a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop,  PII MMX with 320MB
> ram a 60gb hard drive and a CDROM drive.
> 1) Installed over existing FreeDOS 1.1.1
> 2) Installed with a blank formatted C: drive
> 3) Installed with a non-formatted drive.
>
> The installer performed as expected with no hiccups whatever.

I’m glad to hear you had no issues with the Floppy based install. :-)

> Can't wait for the rest of the packages to be included!

This is something I'm are still trying to hash out with the FreeDOS
developers group.