Hello Jim, Don and Everyone,

> On Apr 3, 2016, at 7:28 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
>
> Is anyone else testing using QEMU (virtual machine on Linux)? I'm not
> getting anywhere. The installation seems stuck after 'Done processing
> startup files FDCONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT'.
>
> The screen just hangs there. I've left it running for other fifteen
> minutes before shutting it down (installing FreeDOS 1.1 on QEMU is
> fast until it starts to install packages. Then it's slow, so I've
> learned to just let QEMU do its thing.)
>
> So I'm not seeing the test.

I have tested under QEMU on Linux and have detected the issue and its cause.
It was quick to find. It is the exact same issue that was occurring inside
DOSBox.
I was able to add some functionality to V8Power Tools to detect DOSBox and
prevent it from occurring there.

This is technically not an issue with FDI. It appears to be that SHSURDRV is
locking up the system in DOSBox and QEMU. It does not seem to have this
issue on the native hardware I’ve tested.

For now, the lockup can be avoided by adding

goto IsDOSBox

at line 26 in the \FDSETUP\SETUP\FDITEMP.BAT portion of FDI.
This will cause FDI to just assume RAM DISK creation for initial
temporary storage has failed and will proceed with the installation
process. FDI will still function like this. However, a few things will
not automatically be handled for the user.

Drawbacks of not having the RAM DISK or RAM DISK creation failure:

FDI will not be able to import language or target directory settings from a

FDI will not be able to automatically partition an empty drive in normal mode.
(False back to running fdisk)

> My QEMU setup:
>
> * Drive C image initialized with:
> qemu-img create drivec.img 100M

that’s fine.

> * QEMU command:
> qemu-system-i386 -m 32M -hda $drivec -fda FDI.img -boot ac

Um, you should really use one of the USB stick images. You will need
the packages for installation. (Links on same page download sizes are
around FDI-SLIM.img 25MB and FDI-USB.img 425MB)

Add “goto IsDOSBox” at line 26 in the FDITEMP.BAT

Run:

qemu-system-i386 -m 32M -hda FDI-USB.img -hdb drivec.img

then after install

qemu-system-i386 -m 32M -hda drivec.img

I will look into detecting QEMU tomorrow sometime. I would hate to have to
disable automatic drive partitioning. QEMU seemed a slow compared to
VMware and native hardware.

Thanks, Jerome