On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 07:20:32 -0400, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> * Is it easy enough to make a bootable USB stick with FreeDOS with
>   plenty of software included which does NOT need to install to
>   harddisk but can be used as "live" operating system boot disk?

Isn't there a bootable disk image like this available? It's not that hard
to make one although the process could certainly be simplified.

It would be nice if we had a utility to distribute along side the disk
image, which would take care of a couple things. 1) writing the image to
the disk/flash device and 2) resizing the FAT partition to fit the
available space (so that only one disk image would need to be distributed
rather than various differently sized ones)

I never ran the installer for FD myself. I just formatted a 2GB CF card,
manually copied the FD files to it, and then ran some utility which
created an FD boot sector (I'm not sure what environment I had to be in to
run this utility... it may have been Win98) and of course edited the
fdconfig.sys (or whatever it's called... this happened years ago.)

Since I boot Win2K/XP from FAT32, I also have the ability to put FD right
on the C: partition and add it to my BOOT.INI as an option. This needs a
little juggling of boot sectors to accomplish though.