I doubt it, but perhaps you check the environment settings with the command:

SET

Maybe there’s a wrong keyboard setting the P&E program left behind and you can
delete it with:

SET NAMEOFVARABLE=

(I know, I know, this is too easy, but sometimes…) :-)

Ah and because you can’t get the keyboard to work AFTER you started the P&E
program, try to chain that program with SET. I didn’t find a way to do it with
command.com („&“ doesn’t work) so start 4dos first:

4dos

and then:

yourproblematicprogram.exe ^ SET

Just an idea...