After several tests I have decided to switch the ready-to-use FreeDOS images I
provide on

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox

to the VHD image type. Using VHD instead of VDI (the default type of
VirtualBox) has the advantage that it can be mounted in Windows and other
systems. So you can easily exchange files. You find a walkthrough at:

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=443

I got the idea from our latest discussions, so thanks again!