Hi,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Ulrich Hansen <my.gr...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/?page_id=443
>
> Using VHD instead of VDI has the advantage that it can be mounted in Windows
> and other systems.

What other systems support VHD? Are there different versions (besides VHDX)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHD_(file_format)

Besides MS products?? The page above implies VBox, VMware, Xen.

Ah yes, forgot that 7-Zip also supports extracting from some disk
formats these days.

Hmmm, I don't see any mention of "vhd" in qemu-img --help. And yet one
random page says it supports "vhdx". Eh? Do they just call it "vpc"
instead? Apparently so. (qemu-img does mention "vpc".)

Here's one old blog post about converting various images (including
"vpc"/"vhd"):

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2011/04/30/qemu-disk-image-conversion/

But, once again, although I've never run many and thus don't know all
the incompatibilities, I'd advise people not to be too trusting of
so-called compatibility between emulators. Just because one partially
supports .VMDK doesn't mean that it supports every feature (or every
newer version). Caveat emptor. Bugs often happen, so test test test
before you assume full compatibility with anything.

So I'm not fully convinced (yet) that there is one portable, neutral
format that will work across most emulators.