One other thing you can try with VirtualBox (and Bochs, and QEMU,
probably VMware Player) is use device pass through and install
directly to the drive there using the VM (VirtualBox calls it raw
access)[0][1]. The machine running the VM will likely be faster than
your 486 and so the install should be faster. The only issue could be
that FreeDOS FDISK detects LBA BIOS and put thats in boot sector
partition type but I believe the kernel should be correctly handle
that case and adjust its drive access routines accordingly when you
replace the drive back in your 486.

Jeremy, Tom, Rugxulo might be able to correct me on that last point.

Otherwise, like others have said, get the IDE drive mounted in
Windows, Linux or OSX, without changing anything else, create a folder
for the FreeDOS Installer Image and copy the entire file structure of
the installer to it.

[0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idm7683
[1] http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html#host_005fdrives