Host-only networking does not give FreeDOS access to the Internet.  If you
only want to use networking to transfer files between FreeDOS and the host
it would be a good choice.  If you want to use Arachne to browse the web
(and who doesn't?) or many of the other FreeDOS networking programs
(ssh2dos, wget) the best choices are the default NAT mode or Bridged mode.

Tony