On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:
> I run my pure DOS on a CF chip and move it from one
> machine to another on a cf chip. Try doing that with windows.

You can't.  Windows will detect it's on a new machine, and complain.

But if you run Windows, that's not something you *want* to do, or have
*reason* to do.

You might be able to do something like that with Linux.  How well it
would work would depend on the machines you were moving between.  Like
Windows, desktop Linux pays attention to the hardware of the machine
it's running on, so things like video and networking work as desired.
I run Ubuntu Linux here because it does the best job I've seen in a
Linux distro of figuring out what it's being installed on, setting
itself up, and Just Working with minimal input required from the user.
Just Working requires the appropriate drivers to be installed and
loaded when the machine boots.  Different machines will have different
hardware and require different drivers.

> Running DOS on windows is like turning it into a parasite.

So what?  And you aren't *running* DOS on Windows.  You are running
DOS *emulation* in a virtual machine (which is essentially what things
like vDOS are), which allows you to run DOS *applications* under
Windows.  You don't *need* DOS itself in the mix.  (You could run DOS
apps "native" on Win2K/XP, but *that* was emulation too.  Real DOS was
nowhere to be found.)

(I run an assortment of DOS apps on an Android tablet.  Android has a
Linux kernel under the hood, and the tablet uses an ARM Cortex 7 quad
core CPU.  I run DOS apps via an Android port of DOSBox, with is a VM
intended to let you play old DOS games on machines that aren't DOS
PCs, but supports things that aren't games, too.  Look, Ma!  No DOS!
:-) )

> cheers
> DS
______