From: "TJ Edmister" <damag...@hyakushiki.net>

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 05:24:30 -0400, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> More to the point, who *needed* it?
>
> MNG is PNG with support for animation.  PNG was created to be a
> graphics format unencumbered by patents.

If GIF was patent encumbered, then it would seem that anyone who wanted
support for animation in an unencumbered format "needed" MNG.

> PNG grew out of that mess, as developers recognized a need for a
> graphics format unencumbered by patent.  But the PNG developers didn't
> care for the MNG format - they thought overloading PNG to also do
> animation was bad design

As someone who has implemented a PNG decoder from the official spec, I had
a good chuckle over the idea of the PNG devs shying away from something
because of "bad design."

> The Internet more or less worked for 99% of the world using the stuff
> you advocate *20 years ago*.

Yes. That's what the previous poster just said.

> Since you seem to have missed the fact, I'll be a good guy and clue
> you in.  That was *then*.  This is *now*. What worked 20 years ago
> *won't* work now.

On the contrary. Despite deliberate efforts to break things, there is
plenty that still works.

> The world has changed and we have to change with
> it.  Standing still is *not* an option.

Well, you can't stand still if your job security depends on making changes
for the sake of it. Mine doesn't.

> You might not like a lot of the changes needed, but you're stuck with
> them.

I have found it's remarkably easy to not use things that I don't wish to
use. YMMV.

> The world is bigger than you are and doesn't *care* what *you*
> think.

As spokesman for the world, maybe you can do me a favor and inform them
that this feeling is mutual.

> ______
> Dennis

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net