From: Abe Mishler <a...@mishlerlabs.com>

> [...]
> whole question became moot b y 2004 when the relevant Unisys patents
> had all expired expired.
>
> I don't recall ever seeing an MNG file, and if I were Mozilla, I
> wouldn't bother to add support for something no one actually used,
> even if it produced *no* bloat.
>
>> now we have 50 MiO bloat of the
>> browser + 20 MiO bloat of Flu$h instead :-D
>
> You can not install or uninstall Adobe Flash.  If you never do
> anything that needs Flash, you'll never miss it.  Most folks *do*
> stuff that needs Flash and that's not an option.
>
> What sort of other stuff might you *omit* from Mozilla code to trim
> bloat?  What do you consider bloat?
>
>>> The big step towards that came from Cisco.  The defacto standard
>>> encoding for video these days is H_264, but it's a proprietary spec
>>
>> There used to be a draft back in 2007 recommending Theora
>> for coming HTML5 ... but it was trashed after pressure of some
>> companies (Adobe, Banana/Apple, ...) ... and now 9 years later
>> we have 10 times more bloated browsers and still no usable
>> standard, and most video pages still rudely cry for Flu$h.
>
> H_264 got the nod because it provides better compression, and video
> takes bandwidth.  Google was looking at Theora as an alternative when
> they decided to make Chrome fully open source.  Cisco's purchase of a
> license that allowed them to offer an open source reference
> implementation removed the need to do that.
>
> We *have* a usable spec, and it's being implemented.  (There's a lot
> more to HTML5 than the new <video> keyword, and not all of it is fully
> defined yet, but folks are implementing the parts that are as they
> can.)
>
> I don't think "most" video pages rudely cry for flash, and video isn't
> the only reason Flash is deployed.  Folks are  moving away from it as
> fast as they can.  But getting rid of Flash is a complex exercise.
> Adobe has a beta tool to help migrate extant Flash code to HTML5, but
> it's not a simple or easy process, and doing it takes time and costs
> money.  Got a site where you would really like to see Flash go away in
> favor of HTML5?  Are *you* willing to pay what it will cost them to do
> it?  I didn't think so.  Expect them to spend the money just to make
> *you* happy?  I *hope* you don't think so.
>
>>> You are *not* representative of the mass user base
>>
>> well :-D
>
>>> and what works for you will not work for 99% of the rest of the world
>>
>> You are wrong. The Internet used more or less to work for 99% of the
>> world ... the problem is that those 99% love to throw away something
>> that works (proverb: "change the winning team ASAP") for no reason.
>
> The Internet more or less worked for 99% of the world using the stuff
> you advocate *20 years ago*.
>
> Since you seem to have missed the fact, I'll be a good guy and clue
> you in.  That was *then*.  This is *now*. What worked 20 years ago
> *won't* work now.  The world has changed and we have to change with

I must point out the irony in that position on a *mailing list* about
Free*DOS*. Thanks for that. It was a good chuckle 8-p

This topic does point out how far away we are from _The Future_ where
everyone's computer terminal magically connects to Skynet or The Oasis with
equal access for all. Sometimes I yearn for simpler times too ... or
sufficiently advanced technology that makes it appear simpler... Either would
suffice.

> You might not like a lot of the changes needed, but you're stuck with
> them.  The world is bigger than you are and doesn't *care* what *you*
> think.
> ______
> Dennis

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net