From: Mateusz Viste <mate...@nospam.viste.fr>

Hello,

I needed to verify the integrity of a few files after transferring them
to/from my 8086 PC the other day. The obvious method for such task is
computing a checksum of the file, like MD5, SHA1, etc... However, on an
8086 this may take ages (even on a fairly fast 386, computing the MD5 sum
of a 2 MiB file takes one minute).

Since I don't like waiting, I created an alternative tool over the
weekend: bsum.

bsum is a tiny DOS tool that computes the BSD checksum of a file. It's
very tiny: only 256 bytes (half of which is taken by the help screen), so
it will easily fit in a single disk sector. A BSD checksum is obviously
not as strong as MD5 or SHA1, but it's still more than enough for
verifying whether or not a file got corrupted during a transfer.

bsum is compatible with 8086 and requires only a few kilobytes of memory.
Also, it's very fast.

Homepage: http://bsum.sourceforge.net

Mateusz

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net