I think many of us have got used to use Google to find the desired or updated
binaries and source code, with searches like {ibiblio edit}, {ibiblio himemx},
{ibiblio debug}, {freedos debugx}, {debugx}, use the Archive.org, eMule,
ftp.sunet.se, simtel mirror, programmersheaven mirror, wotsit mirror, etc.
In any case, having documented the full list of FreeDOS binaries cannot be a
bad thing, because for example for a developer, it would be too hard to know
what programs are actually available with such cleanly documented check list.

But in practice, probably most of us will just use a few programs picked by
hand. A way to ensure using them all would be getting them in source code and
compiled binary form and study them all like a FreeDOS developer, which is a
good thing and something I'm trying to do actually. I'm a programmer, I started
using computers with DOS.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
     On Friday, August 11, 2017 6:08 AM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net>
wrote:

 Hello,

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:
>>
>> Just replacing the COMMAND and SYS files won’t really give you 1.2. It would
>> just be 1.1 an upgraded kernel. Take a look at the software comparison chart
>> on the official FreeDOS software repository.
>>
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/comparison.html
>
> Or you could just look closer at specific categories that are relevant
> to your usage:
>
> http://www.freedos.org/software/
>
> BASE, Archivers, Boot tools, Development, Editors, Emulators, Games,
> Networking, Sound, Utilities
>
> (I know it's the same thing, but it's easier to me to only have to
> look in Sound for relevant sound/music tools than scroll through a
> list of hundreds of programs, even if sorted / ordered.)

Yep, it is the same thing. In fact, the links on that page point to the
repository one step down from the main repository index page at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/

Excluding any 3rd party charts and software repositories (like mine at
https://fd.lod.bz/repos/current/ ). As far as I know, the only place to see
what package versions “shipped” with which version of FreeDOS is through
the comparison chart in the 1.2 repository.

> So, obviously, kernel and shell are supremely important, but the
> changes were minor (2040 -> 2042) or even non-existent (FreeCOM).
>
> I wouldn't recommend to overload yourself with worries about updating
> literally everything. I dislike having a billion files that are all
> falsely considered "important".
>
> I would suggest focusing only on your most commonly used utils and
> system drivers (e.g. JEMM).
>
> Honestly, a lot of stuff hasn't seen major changes. And for things
> like compilers (e.g. FPC), the upgrade path is usually to delete and
> reinstall from scratch anyways.

Yep, glancing at the chart, only about 12 packages in BASE were updated
in the years since the 1.1 release.

(A little sarcastic) Its good there having only been few BASE updates. They
are stable and bug free.

>> The first step in that process would be to make a known good bootable
>> backup. Format a floppy and preform a sys transfer to that diskette. That
>> way you
>> can easily boot that floppy and restore your kernel. I would also copy your
>> current autoexec.bat and config.sys to a directory on the floppy along with
>> any
>> drivers you may require.
>
> Is this an ancient machine? Why can't he backup to USB jump drive
> instead? They certainly have higher capacity (and are dirt cheap
> nowadays). A good boot floppy can be useful, I'm not disagreeing.  ;-)
>  But overall it's a very limited medium for backups.

Good question.

A USB bootable backup would be very nice. But, it could be difficult to make.
For instance, he may not be able to boot the internal drive and maintain
access to a USB flash drive from DOS. If that is the case, he may be able
to boot a copy of a 1.2 USB stick and convert it over to a copy of his 1.1
install.

>> Also, please be sure you have good backups for any games you have. I
>> wouldn’t expect any serious problems. But, you never know. On top of that, a
>> hard
>> drive can go bad or even completely fail without warning.
>
> For proprietary games, yes, back them up. Even CD media is prone to
> failure these days. Otherwise, if the game is freeware, just backup
> config and save files (and maybe mods / add-ons), not the original
> data itself.

Yep, backup, backup, backup.

Years ago, I imaged all of my DOS Floppies, CDs and DVDs. Those images
are backed up in several locations. Just like baby pictures, my old computer
software is impossible to replace. :-)