Based on your error messages, it sounds like there is a problem with the hard drive.  If you have more than 1 physical hard drive, your best bet is to copy your data from the c: drive to the e: drive ASAP.  If the "drives" are actually partitions of the same physical drive, I would copy the data off of the computer ASAP.  An option to write to is a zip drive (100 MB each).  It connects to the parallel (printer) port.

4dos is much more feature packed.  command.com is a program that executes the commands you enter at the c:>.  It also includes some internal commands.  If DOS is your main OS, I would find 4DOS invaluable.  As far as the OS (IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS) is concerned, command.com is just another program.  Gates did not get into making the use of our computer and the OS that we licensed difficult until about Windows95.  Luckily, Linux was lurking in the background ready to pounce.

Again, this sounds like a hardware issue, specifically a hard drive getting ready to die.  I would get my data off it fast.

John