It was partitioned, with an MBR, accessible to Windows when connected to a USB
to IDE adapter.

Currently it's bootable to a DOS prompt. I used the "China DOS Union" DOS 7.1
boot floppy with a USB floppy drive to fdisk and format the DOM installed in
the thin client. I could go ahead and put that on, but I want to make a 'guilt
free' redistributable DOM image along with detailed instructions of exactly
what works so others can easily put FreeDOS on any WYSE Sx0 thin client.

What I haven't yet been able to do is get a FreeDOS installer onto a USB stick
that will see the DOM when it's booted to USB. Either won't boot or will boot
but can't see the DOM.

If there's a way to setup a FreeDOS boot floppy with USB support, that will
work with an IDE CD-ROM drive connected with a USB adapter, I'll try digging
out a CD-ROM drive and connecting both it and my USB floppy.
I'm assuming that as long as nothing connected via USB grabs hold of C: (or the
primary fixed drive designation by any name) then the BIOS will allow the DOM
to be seen and written to by the OS that's booted from USB. The WYSE utility
for making flash drives to install the regular WYSE approved systems has to
work around this. I could make one of those again and image it or examine it to
see what format structure it uses.

A 'super floppy' FreeDOS image that can be written to a USB stick might do the
trick, if it boots as A:.
I have a USB Iomega Zip drive. How about a Zip 100 image? ;) Dunno if the thin
client will boot off one of those, would probably assign it to C: and make the
DOM inaccessible.

    On Friday, January 12, 2018, 7:17:42 AM MST, Tom Ehlert
<t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
> I used CloneDisk to rip a RAW image of the booting DOM with
> FreeDOS. Mounted that with Qemu. Booted Qemu with the FreeDOS
> install image and installed FreeDOS to the image copied from the
> DOM. Then I used CloneDisk to write that image back to the DOM. "Missing
> Operating System".

I just reread this post.

"Missing Operating System" is usually issued by the master boot
record, when no active partition is found.

is the DOM partitioned, or a raw ('superfloppy') medium?

Tom