A small side trip about real work in real DOS.

Since Win2K, my desktops have had a 2G, FAT16 primary at the front of the first HDD, carrying DOS and a boot manager, and two Win partitions, both logicals. Every other partition is a logical. Using that layout I am now running FreeDOS 1.1 and Win7-64 - and yes Win7-64 are on logicals.

My DOS accounting program was abandoned by it's creator in 1995 and I am still using it. I have looked at many other accounting programs since then and have been unimpressed by most and appalled by some. A big thing I like about doing accounting under DOS is that I am not doing accounting in a window, my PC becomes an accounting machine. It takes the entire screen, the text is big and bold, and it is fast. And three years of data files fit on a floppy.

And I am still using WordPerfect 6.2B for DOS. Similar to accounting, my PC becomes a word processor. I have kept rather current versions of MS Office, but use them mostly to work other peoples files.

A couple decades ago, Bill Macrone of PC Magazine said if you want to multi task use multiple machines. If I want to access a bank on-line while doing accounting I have a Win laptop sitting at my elbow.

So I am just hopping to keep the current stuff running.

Ray