Good news, everyone! FreeDOS's Free FDISK does support multiple primary
partitions!

I finally did a little test of what that VOGONS member laid out (using Free
FDISK that ships with FreeDOS), and man it is magical compared to the
original FDISK provided by Microsoft. It correctly detects the size of the
HDD I am using, and skips the annoyingly slow "checking drive integrity"
bullcrap that takes forever. And, the reason I tried it to make sure it did
do what the VOGONS member said it did, I was able to make 2 primary
partitions! I was able to create a 80GB primary partition for Win98 "in the
front" as the first partition, and then the rest of the space (150GB) for a
second primary partition for XP! Finally, to make sure it was all about
that "active" status, I set the second primary partition as active, and the
XP setup disk manager said that second primary partition would be the C
drive! So now I am installing Win98 (after changing the "active" status
back to the 80GB primary partition) for hopefully the last time on this
time-waster of a machine, and then will install XP, choose a boot manager,
and then enjoy!