Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Kyle Nied <nied.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BOOTMGR looks like a good candidate, Rugxulo. Boot US seems good too... I'll
> have to think about it more.
>
> I'm putting this project on a very temporary hold, though. I'll work on it
> some more after a few days.

No pressure, just feel free to keep us updated on your achievements.

> Thankfully, Jan, real DOS would not be a problem, given I have all three
> MSDOS 6.22 installation floppy images on my USB flash drive that I store
> floppy images on and of course Win98 bootdisks on there as well, if needed.

Just to plug my own wimpy work:

*
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/

It's not much, but it's meant to be fairly minimal as a starting point
for further expansion. It does fit on 1.44 MB 3.5" floppy (although
only uses half) by default, to keep it simple.

Besides kernel and shell, it does have FDISK, FORMAT, SYS, BOOTMGR,
and a few other random tools (HIMEMX, CWSDPMI, CTMOUSE, UNZIP, etc
etc). In theory, that should help you do a minimal install or at least
simple tests.

Floppies aren't super common anymore, and the few here that still use
them seem to not have much interest in complaining or maintaining, so
we don't have a lot of "good" floppy images online anymore (except
messy old ones from like ten years ago, e.g. Joris, Balder, Odin, my
own BARE_DOS or RUFFIDEA, and a very few others that I can't
remember).

Just for completeness, here's Jerome's FD 1.2 floppy image (but IIRC
that usually presumes CD for installing packages):

*
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/FD12FLOPPY.zip

And here's Mateusz's Svarog86:

* http://svarog86.sourceforge.net/

Or his Svarog386 boot image:

* http://svarog386.viste.fr/boot.img

(I always feel like I'm missing something. There's always more to
support, more to rebuild, more to test. I guess it's impossible to do
everything.)