On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM, jamie marchant <jamie.march...@sympatico.ca
> wrote:

> Hi:
>
>  I can't seem to get Windows 3.1 to run in 386 mode, is this a limitation
> for FreeDos?

​As Eric mentioned in his reply, Windows is very picky in what it runs
from. (That was the basis for the DR-DOS v Microsoft case, years ago.)

We mention this on the FreeDOS wiki, about Windows
<http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Windows>: "However, you may
experience problems running Windows on FreeDOS. For example, Windows
standard-mode works on FreeDOS, but ‘386-mode Windows for Workgroups 3.11
does not."​

>From a similar discussion in 2012, on another forum
<https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32105>: "Windows 3.1
will not run on it out of the box. It checks for specific version info and
files that Freedos doesn't have. I think there's one other DOS OS that can
run Windows 3.1 aside from MS-Dos, but Freedos won't work."

​I haven't tried to run Windows on FreeDOS, but your best bet may be to use
the Microsoft version of EMM386, and start there.

​Jim​