Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> By the way what is fork software, you have
> it mentioned on you web site. You should
> give more details for us that are less imformed.

A fork is just an offshoot, a derivative project, partially based upon
the same code, that is somehow different (in goals or licensing or
features or whatever).

GNU Emacs vs. XEmacs
GCC vs. EGCS
NASM vs. YASM
etc.

Oops, forgot the obvious answer, Wikipedia!   ;-)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software_forks

(Although there they compare it to "schism", which is somewhat
different! Forks are usually benign and beneficial.)

It quotes Eric Raymond as saying, "Forking is considered a Bad Thing".
While I agree that some potential problems are bad and should be
avoided, I don't think forks are the main problem. If anything,
forking alleviates pressure and lets people focus on what they want to
improve. As long as code remains open and specific care is taken to
not intentionally break anything (without good reason), then it's
fine. Forks can always be merged back again later (and often are).