Hi,

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/2018 6:00 AM, Patrick wrote:
>>
>> 1)I want to program on FreeDos, I want to use GCC ad I want to port over
>> GnuCOBOL.
>
> My condolences on both counts.
> GCC isn't really a DOS based compiler, it is a Unix/Linux based compiler
> system that carries a lot of Linux/Unix related quirks with it. For uses on
> DOS, you can use DJ Delorie's DJGPP version of GCC.
> Get ready to enter a world of hurt if you have never done DOS development...

The low-level stuff is complex, yes, but the high-level stuff is very
obvious. While DJGPP doesn't support full POSIX (or even full C11), it
does support quite a lot. "info libc" tells a lot.

Just for completeness, and since we were talking about GCC and total
memory and extenders, there's also (old) EMX, which was a dual DOS +
OS/2 port of GCC. But I don't think it was properly updated in recent
years (after 2001 ??). There were some unofficial newer versions that
were "C only" (3.0.4?) or "OS/2 only" on Hobbes, but here I'm
referring to ancient GCC 2.8.1 ("-mpentium", heheh). I know that's
nowhere near as good as newer DJGPPs, but just for the record, that
also was popular back in the day. (OpenWatcom also has good OS/2
support, so I think many people migrated to that. But I still hear
about various GCC OS/2-compiled tools that need libc*.dll or whatever.
I know OS/2 isn't popular anymore, by far, but it's not quite truly
"dead" either. See Arca Noae or 2ine.)

EMX was an EMS-based extender for DOS (although E. M. is also the
original author's initials). IIRC, it tops out at 1 GB, so it hangs
for me on my 6 GB desktop machine. I ended up doing "set
EMX=c:\path\to\rsx.exe" and manually loading CWSDPMI.EXE when needed,
as workaround. It's a little harder to setup than DJGPP (relying on
some obscure environment variables), but it does mostly work.

There was also (long abandoned) RSXNT/DJ, but I don't even recall how
to install that anymore (although it's still on DJGPP mirrors). Yeah,
too many shims, not enough users, etc.

Just FYI, for completeness.