Hi,
Let me be sure I understand the setup you have in place.
You have a laptop with a modem, card or internal? that modem can connect to a phone line yes? You have dos drivers for the modem yes?
Frankly  I want to know which one.
You  wish to dial into a bbs service with this modem.
Okay, three programs come to mind.
Nettamer is likely the best because it has allot of structure. the edition you need will depend on the nature of your laptop, 386 486 Pentium etc.
or  286 and less etc.
I have  both copies of nettamer so can share.
there are two others, procom, and telix..I hope I have the last program name correct.
I can direct you to places where those can be found as well.
If you do not mind sharing the specifications of your machine, it will help. I am sure you know this, but you will need to know the com port and IRQ for the modem.
Cheers,
Karen