My laptop has a hardware modem, internal. It's a Pentium III machine, so
I'm not sure what risks that may imply about it being a Winmodem I've
heard such nasty things about.

I will look into Net-Tamer and Procom. Telix was the software I had
found the defunct website for. I'm not sure if I want to trust a mirror.

As far as which BBSes are still alive, there exist directories for
finding them, and they are apparently popular among people who are
interested in vintage tech. A colleague of mine knows more.

Happy Hacking,

David E. McMackins II
Supporting Member, Electronic Frontier Foundation (#2296972)
Associate Member, Free Software Foundation (#12889)

www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com
www.eff.org www.gnu.org www.fsf.org